Fancy a trip down the Yellow Brick Road?
Why not come and join us at Fortwilliam Musical Society!
This year we are holding our opening evening on Wednesday 2nd September in Ekenhead Memorial Hall at 7.45p.m. New members are welcome to join us. Click for map.
Please bring your registration fees to this evening where you will be asked to fill out a form with your contact details. It is important that fees are paid promptly so that the society can afford the considerable expenses of the coming year. Fees are £40 per year, £25 concession.
We’re Off to See the Wizard
We are delighted to announce that our main show for 2016 will be The Wizard of Oz.
Adapted from L Frank Baum’s book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, this musical features many popular songs, including:
- Follow the Yellow Brick Road
- Ding! Dong! The Witch is Dead
- If I Only Had a Heart
- and the iconic Over the Rainbow.
Simon Pyper will return once more as director along with Billy Cairns as MD.
The shows will take place in the Theatre at the Mill, Newtownabbey from Tue 15-Sat 19 March 2016.
Details of the auditions will be posted on our website towards the end of summer.
Concerts at Ballyearl
The theme for our annual concerts is Thank You for the Music. They will take place in the Courtyard Theatre, Ballyearl from Tue 17 to Sat 21 November (click for map).
Please note that our regular rehearsal space is Ekenhead Memorial Hall on North Circular Road (click for map).
Rehearsal schedules for these concerts will be distributed when available.
The Youth Group is Back!
After taking a well-earned rest last year, the Youth Group will return in September when it will join forces with the Belfast School of Performing Arts (BSPA).
Members will take part in three productions during the 2015-16 season:
- In November, they will take part in our annual concerts in the Courtyard Theatre, Ballyearl November, led by the BSPA teachers.
- In March 2016, they will have the opportunity to take part in The Wizard of Oz with the adult company in the Theatre at the Mill, Newtownabbey. This will be directed by Simon Pyper.
- In May 2016, they will have their own show at the MAC, Belfast, again led by the BSPA teachers.
Our main show for 2015 was Sweeney Todd. Featuring music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, this award-winning musical tells the story of Benjamin Barker, a.k.a. Sweeney Todd, who returns to London after 15 years’ transportation on trumped-up charges.
We received four nominations for the AIMS Awards:
- Best Overall Show
- Best Male Singer – Karl McGuckin (Sweeney Todd)
- Best Actress – Angela Harding (Mrs Lovett)
- Best Chorus
How did we do? Find out here.