We’re Off to See the Wizard
We are delighted to announce that our main show for 2016 will be The Wizard of Oz.
Adapted from L Frank Baum’s book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, this musical features many popular songs, including:
- Follow the Yellow Brick Road
- Ding! Dong! The Witch is Dead
- If I Only Had a Heart
- and the iconic Over the Rainbow.
Simon Pyper will return once more as director along with Billy Cairns as MD.
The shows will take place in the Theatre at the Mill, Newtownabbey from Tue 15-Sat 19 March 2016.
Our company auditions for Wizard of Oz will be held from 2:00pm on Sunday 11th October 2015 at Carr’s Glen Primary School.
On Wednesday, 30th September there will be an opportunity to meet the director of the show, Simon Pyper, to discuss the characters and the audition process. This will take place in Ekenhead Memorial Hall at 7.30pm just before our usual rehearsal.
You must register your intention to audition with our secretary, Hilary McKee. You will then receive the appropriate audition pieces to help you to prepare for your audition.Click to register for auditions
Concerts at Ballyearl
The theme for our annual concerts is Thank You for the Music. They will take place in the Courtyard Theatre, Ballyearl from Tue 17 to Sat 21 November (click for map).
Tickets are available from the Courtyard Theare’s box office on 028 9034 0202 and from their website.
Please note that our regular rehearsal space is Ekenhead Memorial Hall on North Circular Road (click for map).
The Youth Group is Back!
After taking a well-earned rest last year, the Youth Group will return in September when it will join forces with the Belfast School of Performing Arts (BSPA).
Members will take part in three productions during the 2015-16 season:
- In November, they will take part in our annual concerts in the Courtyard Theatre, Ballyearl November, led by the BSPA teachers.
- In March 2016, they will have the opportunity to take part in The Wizard of Oz with the adult company in the Theatre at the Mill, Newtownabbey. This will be directed by Simon Pyper.
- In May 2016, they will have their own show at the MAC, Belfast, again led by the BSPA teachers.
Our main show for 2015 was Sweeney Todd. Featuring music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, this award-winning musical tells the story of Benjamin Barker, a.k.a. Sweeney Todd, who returns to London after 15 years’ transportation on trumped-up charges.
We received four nominations for the AIMS Awards:
- Best Overall Show
- Best Male Singer – Karl McGuckin (Sweeney Todd)
- Best Actress – Angela Harding (Mrs Lovett)
- Best Chorus
How did we do? Find out here.